here to hear TagYerit's song SciFi (first half) in RealAudio while you enjoy
some of our carvings.
Picturing Pumpkins Page plus Pumpkin Links
Let the candle be your guide.
The pumpkins you find on these pages were either done by Rich & Flo Newman
(aka TagYerit) or sent in by friends & contributors. There could easily be
20 pages by now, so give yourself plenty of time to explore the vast range of
wonderful creations assembled here! (Sorry - these photos from 1997, but the principle is the same.)
Do you want your photo to look like this?
This is actually a simple trick that a professional photographer, would already understand. But for the rest of us, the concept is to think about your light source. What makes a jack-o-lantern glow so wonderfully is the candle inside the pumpkin. So turn OFF your flash. If you have an automatic camera, then you need to cover the flash when you snap. I just put my hand over it and as you can see, it's very effective.
This update from Oct. 2002. Now that I have a digital camera, I've been playing around with a slightly different approach. The pumpkins that I photographed this year, were lit with an extension light inside the pumpkin. A 23 watt compact fluorescent puts out the equivalent of a 90 watt incandescent, but without the heat. This allows me to take a picture without flash in a regularly lit room. the pumpkin's glow photographs just fine, but you can see the details of the outside of the pumpkin including the stem. And it doesn't cook the pumpkin.
Now, while on the subject of lighting. The cooler the temperature of the lighting source is, the longer the pumpkin will last. That means keep the wattage to the bare minimum. LED lights are the best, though most expensive. Compact fluorescent lights are common now. Either of these options will make your pumpkins easier to see and create a great display whether you place them on your front porch, near your garden shed or on a stone wall.
Three views of the moon
An occasional series: by Flo
And speaking of moons, here's a few pictures that've been going around via
emails. Sorry to say, I don't know who the original artists are.
Recommended Pumpkin Links
So you've bookmarked this page, and you're ready to see what other pumpkin madness
Pumpkins wonderful fretwork pumpkins
- Ray Villafane - Pumpkin
Sculpture Tutorial - Go here to learn how to bring out a full three dimensional
- The Pumpkin
Wizard He'll make a pattern from your photo
- Masterpiece Pumpkins
- Custom carved pumpkins, pumpkin carving patterns, demonstrations.
*quite an impressive selection*
Hundreds and hundreds of patterns and still growing.... Very well organized
- Have you ever seen a wall of 13,432
lit carved pumpkins! Keene boasts the world record and they hope
to top it at each year's Pumpkin Festival ...
- Pumpkin Gallery
- A Gallery of samples of pumpkin carvings representing some of the best carvers
on the web.
Time's a Comin - All sorts of information about pumpkins - a
web article on Fresh
Food Central by Richard Harding
- Patterns for all the homestarrunner.com characters - such as HomeStar's
"Strong Sad" pictured at left as carved by Ana Rocadas. If you get
a chance, also check out Ana's blog, HowToWashAShowerCurtain.com
Halloween & Fall Links
Halloween Ecard Links
Other Holiday Links
Other carving ideas? Hire a bunny. Here Mara, a 9 year old New Zealand shows off
her talents. Mara loves pumpkins. As her human translator Laura says, " She
takes pride in her craft. It is a labor of love for her and fine dining too. There
is never a mess, Mara happily eats all her shavings, pieces and the juicy, stringy
insides as she goes about her carving. Believe it or not, though she carries the
scent of fresh pumpkin about her, never is she messy with pumpkin. Her face and
paws remain clean and bright white."
- Gadgetrees this is another TagYerit project involving building holiday xmas/yule trees
- The East Pole When was the last time you visited the East Pole? How else do you expect to learn the origins of the Easter Bunny?
Don't stop now ... visit the following pages for more great pumpkins!
- "Political Pumpkins" - Polly the Tickedoff pumpkin had his say (just in time for the election season 2004)
- Pumpkins A-Glowing SCARY creatures to light your way.
- SongCarvers What happens when carving pumpkins gets songified?
- Tips on carving pumpkins more wonderful examples
- Tip on photographing pumpkins
- yet more pictures ...
- Links to other great pumpkin sites.
- Pumpkin Highlights 2014 . . .
- Pumpkin Highlights 2011-2013
- Pumpkin Highlights 2010
- Pumpkin Highlights 2009
- Pumpkin Highlights 2008
- Pumpkin Highlights 2007 - includes Deranged Cowgirl, Tubeman, Outlaw Radio Guy (Pirate Radio Ship), and much more.
- Pumpkin Highlights 2006 - includes Kabali's Diner, Pardon The Interruption (Mike & Tony), Pumpkin Head Astaire, Rosey's Hot Air Balloon ride, Yoda, Frankenstein, Col. Sanders, gargoyle, dogs, tigers and so much more.
- Pumpkin Highlights 2005 - includes Hedwig, The Pumpkin Farmer, Gollum, Kangaroos, Snow White, Sponge Bob, Snoopy on the Great Pumpkin, and Cinderella
- Pumpkin Highlights 2002 to 2004 - includes Homer, a crane, genie, Shrek, The Creature from the Black lagoon, Pinhead and more
- Pumpkin Highlights 1998 to 2001 - includes the Tiffany pumpkin (a must see), as well as this little gem ...
- Laaarge Pumpkins - See how much more one can do with a bigger pumpkin.
- The Great Pumpkin Globe of JM Finholt - JM uses the whole pumpkin to create a map of the world.
- Painted Pumpkins - Some wonderful examples from our friends.
- Rick's Tips - Rick Chong shares his ideas for creating inexpensive effective patterns.
- The Trick or Treat Trials - Masks, Costumes, Tricks and Treats - TagYerit's other Halloween related creations.
Click the Guitar to hear TagYerit's music.
Click here to fully explore the tagyerit.com pages
Subscribe to TagYerit Tails
TagYerit Tails is the newsletter for TagYerit (The Website) and TagYerit (The Band). This newsletter is our way to tell you when something new or exciting is happening. In other words expect it no less than twice a year and no more than once a month.
Click here to sign up now.
- Whether you'd like to say hi; make a request or a suggestion; discuss the use of any of these images; swap links; we'd love to hear from you!
- Do you carve pumpkins?
- Occasionally we get requests for skilled carvers for festivals or special projects. Contact us if you're interested, and we'll do our best to facilitate.
- We're always interested in posting examples from carvers of all skill levels. Contact us if you'd like to have your pumpkins up on our galleries.
Just so you know: We never disseminate email information. We are ever mindful of the privacy needs of our friends.
All text and images ©1998 - 2020 Rich & Flo Newman
(Any images credited to others remain their property and appear here by permission.)